Sunday, July 5, 2009

Freedom

What does freedom mean to you? I tried to come up with an answer to this as I tried to explain the importance of July 4th to my friend's 7y/o foster-daughter. It is more than the freedom to set off fireworks (which is what she thought it was all about). It is even more than the freedom that we have in this country that has been hard won. As a Christian, I realize that, as Paul says, slavery to Christ is the greatest freedom I will ever have. My church (Harvest Church) shows this to the community by putting on a huge carnival and fireworks show every year. I think people outside the church need to see that Christians really do know how to have fun and be free. Too often we act as though the Christian life is all about what you can't do. Remember that Christ "came that (we) might have life and have it abundantly." (John 10:10). That means fireworks too.

The moon just after the clouds cleared.Children living the abundant life with glow in the dark toys.

1 comment: