Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rocking Chair

This may not look like much, but it is the BEST rocking chair in the world. It is solidly built and probably over 100 years old. My great-grandmother rocked my grandmother in it. She, in turn, rocked my father and his siblings and then she rocked her grandchildren in it. It hasn't been used much in the last 20 years, but I am making up for that now.
The last week or so has not been the easiest. But you probably guessed that by the lack of posts here. I do still plan to get more pictures of our Ethiopia adventure up here, but this seemed more important right now. I have been butting heads with both girls, but especially Meskerem since we got home. On an hourly basis I have to remind myself that loving these children is a choice I have to make and something I have to DO. It has NOTHING to do with what I may feel.
Today was another difficult day. I had several fights with Meskerem over probably stupid stuff (I can't remember what now), but after one of them she let me sit next to her and talk about what has happened to her in the last few weeks. Later this evening she got up to put something in her bed and then crawled back in my lap, put her arm around me neck and settled in for me to rock her to sleep. Sleep has been a tough issue the last few days. Meskerem usually just crawls in bed, pulls the covers over her head, and goes to sleep. Kidist wants to be rocked and rocked, all night long if possible. Tonight I got to have both girls comfortably in my lap. Thank goodness we have a sturdy rocking chair. I think more happened today than even I am aware of. I pray that God will continue to give me the wisdom to parent these children as He would have me do. I am so thankful for all the prayer and emotional support I am being given by all of you out there. There is no way I would be doing this if it wasn't for all of you.
One other thing, could you please pray for my dog (I know some of you may think that is silly, but she is important to me). I think she is a little more stressed out than I realized. She has been licking her nose and her mouth so much that both are chapped and peeling. If you know anything to help her with this transition, I am open to advice. Thanks again.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for your whole family Kirsten...including your sweet puppy. You are a GOOD STRONG mommy, this is SUCH HARD WORK!!

    XOXO
    JennG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is wonderful to hear. There is nothing like snuggling up in a rocking chair! Stay strong my friend. I bet they are thriving on your love and affection and you will soon see the effects of that.
    Poor little Dot. Maybe you could take walks with the girls and Dot to make Dot feel like part of the "pack". Maybe you could fit her on the rocking chair too.... :)

    ReplyDelete